The original town of Concord Village in Massachuesetts was founded in 1635 when an English merchant peacefully purchased six square miles of land from local natives. The village was named for the uniquely harmonious "concord" (or accord) struck with local Algonquians.
In the years preceding the purchase, there was a small native community called Musketaquid, which was situated on Nashawtuc hill in Concord, but the tribe was decimated by the small pox plague brought by the Europeans, leaving only a remnant of its prior population. Several early American outposts had failed with entire communities starving to death in the winters, or in violent conflicts with local tribes, and so this uniquely peaceful relationship caused the settlers to honorably rename the town from its Algonquian name within a year of founding it.
At the time of the purchase, the Concord area was 90% forest-covered and was the first official town in the interior of the Massachusetts Bay. This was the unspoiled rugged West of the day.